On the Verge: Call for Papers
Posted on February 21, 2023
By Shilpa Das, National Institute of Design
On behalf of the Social Design Network I would like to share our Call for Papers with you for our upcoming conference ’On the Verge – Design in Times of Crisis’that we are organising at MOME Budapest (Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design Budapest) November 8-9-10.
The international Social Design Network conference will bring together scholars from various disciplines to explore how design responds to and shapes our understanding of crises by encompassing a range of activities and interventions.
Some potential topics for exploration could include:
- The roles that designers take on in responding to crises
- The capacities and literacies that designers bring to the table in crisis situations
- How current forms of thinking about design may be shifting in the context of transformation
- Different ontologies and their implication for designs’ ability to grasp and respond to the interconnected nature of permacrisis
- The relationships between design and other disciplines in responding to crises
- The potential for design to shape our understanding and response to crises
- Adaption of design education as a response to “the long emergency”
Practitioners, teachers, and researchers from all disciplines and career stages are welcome to submit papers for consideration, with a particular emphasis on approaches oriented toward design studies. In addition, workshops and excursions exploring relevant actors, NGOs, and initiatives in and around Budapest will complement the conference program. The conference invites submissions corresponding to the following tracks:
Understanding Design and Crisis
Crisis, Literacies, and Practices
Crisis and Communities
Crisis and Education
Prospective participants are requested to send a 300-word abstract to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org until April 24, 2023 with a 50-word bio-note. Please refer to the conference website for more information on the submission process and guidelines. The authors of selected papers will receive a full access pass to the Conference.
- Conference Dates: November 8,9 and 10, 2023 (Wed-Fri)
- Abstract (300 words) Submission Deadline:April 24, 2023
- Results of abstract review returned to authors:May 29, 2023
- Full submission deadline:September 18, 2023
Email address: email@example.com