Liberal Arts for Tomorrow
Posted on May 4, 2021
This 7th Annual Global Academy of Liberal Arts (GALA) conference will be held online from 20-22 September 2021. Dedicated to the theme of ‘Liberal Arts for Tomorrow’ it aims to prepare university students, faculty, and professionals for a changing and uncertain global future. It will explore how the values of the liberal arts—intellectual freedom, critical thinking, creative curiosity, reasoned debate, disciplinary diversity, public engagement, and a global outlook—can be reconfigured to empower students, teachers, and researchers in tackling global challenges. As this will be GALA’s first online annual conference, it will provide an ideal opportunity to explore truly global perspectives about teaching, research, and practice in the liberal arts. Topics for discussion include:
● Global citizenship and the liberal arts
● Diversity, equality, and inclusion in teaching, research, and practice
● Decolonising the liberal arts curriculum
● The liberal arts and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
● Working locally, thinking globally: universities as civic partners
● Public engagement and the liberal arts
● Building research capacity in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
As in previous years, the conference will be open to undergraduates and postgraduates as well as faculty and university professionals at all stages of their career. More information on the conference programme will be shared shortly. In keeping with GALA’s commitment to innovation and inclusivity, the conference will adopt a multi-format approach, mixing ‘traditional’ conference panels and presentations with lightning talks, workshops, exercises, facilitated plenary discussions, and breakout activities.