The GALA Outreach Fund
The GALA Outreach Fund is intended to support Bath Spa University staff and student engagement with GALA partners by providing support for international travel or other activities related to research or teaching collaboration, staff or student mobility, public engagement activities, or projects relating to the liberal arts. It can also be used to support visits by representatives from GALA partners to Bath Spa. The GALA Outreach fund will not generally fund research in libraries and archives or attendance at a conference.
Grants of £500-£1000 are available. Funding can cover travel, accommodation, and subsistence costs; it can also be used to pay for teaching cover. However, no honorariums or stipends can be provided. Any questions about eligibility or financial logistics should be directed to the Academic Director, Professor Ian Gadd.
The GALA Outreach Fund is available only by application to staff and students at Bath Spa University. The application deadlines will be the final working day of each month. Decisions will be made with three weeks of application. The disbursement panel will consist of the GALA team, who may consult with subject specialists if needed. Applications will be assessed in light of GALA’s strategic priorities and the criteria listed below. Applications for co-funding are particularly welcome.
All activities must be completed by 31 July 2018 to be eligible for support. Dates of travel should be as specific as possible. Applications must be received no less than four weeks before the intended date of travel.
If successful, applicants will be expected to
- Meet with relevant representatives at the GALA partner
- Write a brief summary with pictures for the GALA website
- Provide a detailed report to the Academic Director
Staff will be briefed about GALA and its activities prior to travel, and on their return.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the Academic Director, Professor Ian Gadd, to discuss their proposed projects prior to application. He can be contacted at email@example.com.
Current GALA members
Bath Spa University, UK
Beijing Foreign Studies University, China
Claremont Graduate University, USA
Columbia College Chicago, USA
Communication University of China, China
Concordia University, Canada
Lingan University, Hong Kong
National Institute of Design, India
National Taiwan University of the Arts, Taiwan
Queensland University of Technology, Australia
RANEPA, Moscow, Russia
School of Form, Poland
SUNY Geneseo, USA
Tecnológico de Monterrey, Mexico
J.M. Coetzee Centre for Creative Practice, University of Adelaide, Australia
University of Parma, Italy
University of Stockholm, Sweden
University of Udine, Italy
University College Utrecht, The Netherlands
University College Roosevelt, The Netherlands
Applications should aim to expand on existing collaborations with a specific partner(s) or identify areas for new collaborations. Cross-disciplinary projects will be particularly welcomed.
Staff applications need the prior approval of their line-manager and (for academic staff) the relevant assistant dean. Professional staff may apply but some financial support from their department will be expected.
Postgraduate research students may also apply, and will need the approval of their supervisor.
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught student applications: staff must submit on behalf of the student(s); staff need not accompany the student(s) on their visit but need to demonstrate how the students will be supported during their visit.
Group applications are acceptable.
The application will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Are the scope and plan for the activity/visit clear and feasible?
- What are the long-term goals of the activity/visit and how will the activity/visit contribute towards them?
- How will the proposed activity/visit support GALA’s goals of facilitating sustained collaboration in teaching and research, supporting student and staff international engagement, and/or promoting liberal arts education in a transnational context?
- How will the proposed activity/visit promote creative entrepreneurship, social and civic engagement, and/or global citizenship?
- How will the proposed activity/visit benefit Bath Spa University?
- How will the proposed activity/visit benefit the applicant’s work/teaching/research/career development?
An application does not need to meet all the criteria to be successful.